Wednesday, March 14, 2012

An Amazing Woman

My friend Sherie Wright passed away Saturday after a short but difficult battle with cancer.  Sherie was one of those people that had amazing oozing out of every fiber of her being.  She was not an amazing crafter or scrapbooker, she was a normal housekeeper.  Where Sherie's talents were was in her ability to love.

If you knew Sherie you knew that she cared about you.  She volunteered for years at the high school helping the seniors with applications for college.  She was there almost as much as a teacher.  I am sure that many students actually thought that she was a counselor.  My own daughter Ashley was helped greatly.

Sherie also had the strongest testimony of our Savior.  When she walked into a room that room was brightened by the Spirit that Sherie was able to bring with her.  She loved the Savior and was so willing to share that love with others. 

Sherie will be missed.  She was far too young to go.  I worry about her sweet husband Kelley and about her seventh son Tim who is serving a mission in Spain.  They will be in our prayers for a very long time.

Fifteen years ago I had a three month old baby.  My sister in law Christine had a six week old baby.  Christine had emergency tonsillitis surgery on Christmas Eve.  Baby Whitney had never had a bottle, so I nursed both babies for four days.  It was a bit rough.  Dave and I just took turns holding which ever baby I wasn't nursing.  Ashley(3) and Jess(5) basically just took care of themselves.  I am not sure we ever really fixed them food!  We survived Christmas day and then the next few days. 

Sherie was Christine's visiting teacher.  When Sherie heard Christine was sick she called to see how she could help her.  Christine wasn't going anywhere for a few days and no one was in her home.  At this point Sherie realized that it was me who could use some help.  She had her daughter Sara come over with strict instructions to "just do what needs done."   She cleaned up a terribly messy kitchen, vacuumed and held babies so I could shower.   I have never forgotten this sweet gesture from Sherie.  It was a simple thing but it meant a lot to me.  Those babies are both almost sixteen now!!

Death is one of the great struggles of this life.  Those left behind are so desperately saddened by the loss. 

Sherie affected all those she came into contact with for good.  She is a role model for all of us to emulate.

1 comment:

Crystal Farish said...

Oh Rosie, I am so very sorry for your loss. It is such a hard thing watching someone you love suffer through cancer. You are in my prayers.