Friday, January 31, 2014

Goodbye January

  January 31---That is a date that is a welcome sound.  January is often a hard month.  It comes after the colorful, fast paced months of November and December.  We celebrate, decorate, plan and experience so many things between Thanksgiving and New Years.  Then comes January. 


  January feels cold, dark and dreary.  It is often the coldest month of the year so we are stuck inside much of the time.  January--the longest month of the year!  I am grateful that we survived another January without being too much worse for the wear!


  I feel like I actually got quite a bit accomplished this January.  I started out the month by making a huge PURGE list.  The list keeps getting bigger and bigger!  However, there are things that are getting marked off of that list as well!  I have cleaned out two lazy Susan cupboards, cleaned out the medicine cabinet, cleaned out my bathroom cabinets and all the drawers.  I also managed to get Justin's very messy room cleaned!  All of these don't look like much when written down but for me, all of that adds up to a lot of purging!! 


  We have a DI donation drive next week.  I have enough to completely fill up my suburban.  That will be a good day!


  January has also been a good month for me to work on Purging my excuses.  I often really slide backwards on my physical health in January.  Remember, it is dark and cold!  This January I have tried very hard to keep exercising.  I have managed to go to Crossfit at least twice every week, I have ran once or twice every week and I actually put on a swimsuit and actually swam laps once!


  Swimming is a really big deal for me.  I have never been a strong swimmer.  I took a couple lessons when I was a kid but never learned how to swim with my face in the water. I never learned how to go under the water without plugging my nose.  I am not sure why, but for the last couple of years I have had this desire to become a better swimmer.  There are a few reasons why I haven't done it.

#1 I am a procrastinator

#2 I freeze in the water

#3 I am a procrastinator

#4 Fear


 Those four reasons pretty much sum up me and swimming.  I know how to swim.  I am not a good or strong swimmer, but I do know how to get myself across the swimming pool.  The day that I decided to get in the pool I just did it.  Emily had tennis so I decided that I had an hour and a half that I might as well use for something healthy.  So I ran two miles on the track and then I went and put on my suit and got in the pool.  The lap side of the pool. 


 The first lap I held on to the kick board.  I'm not sure why, perhaps just for the comfort of it.  The next lap I decided to just swim as far as I could.  I made it to the other side.  I stopped and then went again.  All in all I swam six laps.  Two with the kick board and four in the middle without.  Six laps and I was done.  I couldn't believe how hard swimming was!  I believe that it takes something like 35 laps to make a mile!  I swam like barely a block!!   Still, it was something.  I am not sure when I will get back into the pool.  I want to.  I want to be able to swim 10 laps without dying!  Maybe one day I could swim a mile!  Maybe someday I will learn how to put my face in the water!!


  I did something else great in January!  I signed up for my second half marathon!  I am running the Ogden Half Marathon on May 17th!!   I am scared.  Perhaps even more scared than my first half.  Perhaps because I have already run one half, I know more what to expect. Perhaps it is fear again.  I don't want to get hurt like I did last summer during Ragnar.  Regardless, I have paid the fee.  I am committed.  January is a month that I don't typically commit to much.  It is the month that I usually just try to get through!!  Regardless, I signed up and I have run.  Not a ton but I have run.  I actually even ran intervals at the track!


  January--glad to see you go.  You have been an okay month this year!   Here is looking ahead to February!!!
Cleaning out the lazy Susan's--that is a lot of plastic stuff with no matching lids!!!



Justin's bedroom has been a wreck for much too long!  He didn't have school today so we went to work!  Three garbage bags and one DI bag later and it looks so much better!

No comments: