Friday, August 25, 2006

This girl!

This girl is going to be the death of me! She is so very independent and free spirited! Today was the day that repeated every school day of last year. She didn't want to get up, wanted to wear the same clothes as yesterday, didn't want to wear the new capri's that she loved. I don't know what it is going to take to get this child to be more pleasant in the morning but I am on a quest. Her stubborness in the mornings sets all of us up for a crabby morning. I hate sending her out the door having hollered at her for an hour. There has to be a better way. I am thinking about setting up a morning routine chart for her, also I think a night time one that includes choosing the clothes for the next day. Perhaps it could be laminated or in a scrapbook sleeve so that she could use a dry erase marker to mark it off as she does the things. I think that for awhile she may also need a reward chart for when she does everything without screaming(I hate her scream to the point of hives). Maybe after so many days I take her to a movie or something. I think that it needs to be big enough that it is a real motivation. However, I don't want it to be too big so that it takes too many days to achieve it. Perhaps we start small, 2 days and we go for ice cream or something.
This little girl is so outgoing and friendly, she can make friends with anyone. She also has two older siblings that have crossed over to big kids, and then she has a little brother. So, she is a little stuck. M is really awful at teasing her, and with her screech, he does it often. I have always wondered why children like to hear others scream. I would be happy to never hear screaming again!!!
I hope that something helps because the thought of 177 more days of screaming makes me want to throw up! Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Lara said...

Here's some advice I gave a friend of mine. It sounds like she has friends at school and enjoys it? The next time she doesn't feel like getting ready for school, she stays home. Don't fight with her about it. She's not ready, she doesn't get on the bus. Simple as that. If she misses the bus again, she stays home again.

I guarantee she won't want to miss school forever and she will start getting herself ready. Without the screaming. It won't kill her to miss a few days of school and she will learn a valuable lesson in the mean time. She will learn to take responsibility for her own life. Better now than never!