Aug. 21, 2008
The first day of school. It is 9:36 and it is quiet, oh so quiet! Little guy is still asleep and the others have all gone to discover their new classrooms and teachers.
I always have such mixed feelings about the first day of school. I remember being so excited as a kid. Even when I was in high school. I was excited to wear my new outfit, learn who was in my class, etc.
As a parent I have had different feelings. I enjoy the relaxed schedule in the summer. However, after 10 weeks of no real schedule we are all exhausted and ready for a schedule. I enjoy my children home with me--but after 10 weeks of constant togetherness we are all ready for some separation.
I remember another Mom telling me once that she was so sad that school was starting because she just loves having her kids home. I didn't even have a schooler then and I felt guilt. Am I a bad Mom because I am not sad?
I have a few friends who have chosen homeschooling. I respect them so much. I am a stay at home Mom by choice. I love my children. I have tried to encourage and teach them. I have also chosen to send them to public schools. So, when it is the day for school to reopen I try to look at it as a new opportunity for my children and also for me.
It is also the day that I can actually clean the counter and it might stay clean for more than twelve minutes!!!
1 comment:
Hi Rosie,
I'm back from our vacation and it's good to catch up with you. I have 2 in school and 2 that start on Monday. I'm right there with you babe. Hope you've had a good summer and enjoy some quite time with you little one. =)
Post a Comment