Then I became a mother! Everything changes when you become a mother. Raw cookie dough? Are you crazy? There could be salmonella. Riding a scooter without elbow pads? (well, at least the first child wore them!) I have what I describe as an acute case of Mother Fear. The parks that I grew up going to still have these massive slides-the ones that they have taken out at most parks across the country. I spent hours going up and down those slides. When I watch my children climb those steep steps and get their footing on that narrow landing my stomach just falls. As I sit with my child on a ski lift I have panic if they move the slightest bit. I have a panic attack when I see my older children start a fire-will they get burned? Using a pocket knife---they might cut themselves.
This disease only affects mothers. Father's do not have the slightest problem letting their children light a fire by using "boy scout water" (gasoline). Fathers encourage the children to climb to the top of the motor home or the highest tree. Father's are proud of the bruised, cut leg from the great crash.
In the last six months I have had two terrifying Mother Experiences.
Driving with my newly licensed teenage daughter
And photographing my son flying over a car on his motorcycle.
Don't Ever Tell Me I am Not BRAVE!
1 comment:
2 scary things, to be sure. Your son is really flying over that car??? Yikes! You ARE brave.
Post a Comment