Thursday, August 05, 2010

Manti Pageant-June 28




(I am doing some catch-up posts. )


Manti Miracle Pageant June 28 2010

We decided to go to The Mormon Miracle Pageant in Manti, Utah. Only our oldest daughter attended with us a few years ago with the singles ward. We drove to Manti, found a place to park the RV and headed towards the Temple grounds. We found some chairs and then went to find some "pageant food". This is similar to fair food. Burgers, speciality items--all being sold out of tents. We had a variety of foods--traditional bbq turkey(a Sanpete county thing) fruity drinks( not so good), frozen gelato and scones. After all that food we walked into Manti proper and had ice cream.


As we were returning to our seats our children noticed the people that were against the LDS church. Signs and chanting, people with horns yelling and fighting. It was very ugly. I have always felt that people need to be kind and courteous, even if we disagree. It was a stark contrast to the pleasant peaceful feeling that was present on the Temple grounds. We were glad to find our seats and wait for the pageant to begin.



The performance was fabulous! It starts at dark. It depicts scenes from the early part of the church and then the Book of Mormon. There are actors running across the hill of the Temple acting the scenes. Lights flashing, flames-there is activity happening all over this large hill. We were constantly moving across the hill with anticipation and awe.



At on point there is a fight scene between Lamanite and Nephite warriors. One side good, one side evil--Little J Man was so intent on one part of the hill that he had not looked over to see the bad guys coming. Hubby pointed them out--J's little mouth dropped open! He was mesmerized. It was a long performance, almost two hours. J lasted until the very last 20 minutes-which was 11:00 p.m. Pretty good for a five year old.


As we were leaving we were bombarded by more Anti-Mormon preachers. It was disheartening. We had much discussion that night and the next day about why people feel the need to fight against other people. I will never get into a fight with these types of people. I know many wonderful people that are not of my faith. I don't stand outside their events and protest them. I let them worship and I respect them. I wish that others could do the same for my faith.


This was all in all a lovely experience for my family. We may start to make it a tradition in June.



The next morning we took the scenic route through Provo Canyon into Heber Valley and had breakfast at the cafe.

No comments: