Saturday, April 30, 2011

Ashley's Near Death Experience

Ashley about died. No really--she is a lucky lucky girl. She and Mitch decided to go try out the new long board that Mitch made in shop. The road by our house is too rocky so they went over by our new school. The roads are new and smooth. They are also mostly hills. Bigger than they look.

Ashley crashed going probably 30-35 miles per hour. Mitch was behind her in the car. Of course there was no helmet. Mitch said that she just laid there. I am certain that she was knocked unconscious. Mitch got her in the car and drove her home. I did not know what to do. She was a screaming mess. At first I didn't really realize how badly she had crashed. I didn't know that she laid there. I didn't understand that her hysteria was a concussion.

This was a very scary night. Hind sight is very clear and we should have taken her in earlier. When I did take her in the Dr. told her that she was a very lucky girl. There are many fatalities on long boards. Fatal head injuries. She was lucky she didn't break her skull.

She had a cat scan and was clear from bleeds or fractures so that was good. However, with a serious concussion it could take weeks to really heal.

These pictures are five days after the accident. She wouldn't let me near her with a camera before that! She also suffered from bad road rash. Both elbows, both knees, hands and her hip. Her hip is the most painful.

I hope that someday Ashley has the ability to look at this accident and realize that she was spared. Spared death and spared from permanent brain injury. She experienced a miracle. We believe in the Power of the Priesthood. I know that the blessing her Dad gave her helped. She had faith. She must have a reason that she was spared. I just hope that she will be a bit more cautious and realize that she can get hurt. A helmet would be a great idea!





2 comments:

Jessie Gold Price said...

Oh my goodness! I'm glad Ash is alright! That is so scary!

Tina said...

Beautiful Ashley, I am so glad you are alright!