Friday, June 08, 2012

Ragnar is coming!

I am getting nervous!  It has been almost a year in the planning and it is happening next weekend! 
Ragnar Wasatch Back relay race! 

Ashley and I are both running with a team mostly from our neighborhood!  If you are not familiar with what a Ragnar relay race is I will explain.

It is a 200 mile relay across the back side of the Wasatch Mountains.  The team consists of twelve runners who each run three legs, ranging in distance from about 3 miles to about 10 miles.   The team is divided into two vans.  One van runs their six legs and then the next van runs their six legs while the first van rests(in theory!) and gets ready for their next leg, etc, until everyone has run three time.  The entire process is about thirty hours.

The race has been going through our little town for years, maybe 12, and this year we are part of it. 
I am nervous because I struggle with running.  The team captain and neighbor, Jeff, gave me the easiest leg so that I wasn't overwhelmed.  My longest distance is 4.3 miles.   I am grateful for this!  Perhaps if we run again I might feel more confident and get one of the longer distances!

I have been trying to run more often but it is hard.  I love going to my Crossfit classes so I am always trying to figure out which to do.  Run or Crossfit!  I have gotten to where my four mile run is ok. I feel confident in it.  I am slow, slow, slow!  That has not changed since the eighty year old man beat me!  However, I am trying to not let my speed affect my desire.  I just want to be able to say that I did it!

I still have the desire to run a half marathon.  I am not sure why, except to say that I can do something hard.   Ashley just signed herself up for one in August!  I should just do it with her, except that she is much faster than I am!

This next week will involve more running, just in preparation!  I hope that we all survive and enjoy it along the way!!

No comments: