Friday, February 22, 2008

Smart Habit Saturday-Life Goals

How does one overcome self? I realize that this is an age old question. However, how do you actually overcome oneself? Too deep a question? I am not really that deep of a person so let me explain.

Since the beginning of this year I have been participating in my friend Lara's Smart Habit Saturday. I feel like it makes me want to stay accountable. I am not sure who I am accounting to in this weird cyberworld but me makes me feel like someone might care if I report.

So, since January I have been working on a few "life goals." These are the types of goals that you don't accomplish in one week. They are ones that you work on forever. So, therein lies the problem. I seem to procrastinate some of these goals.

Life Goals
*reading personal scriptures -I joined the Hinkley challenge thinking that it would help motivate me to read, it does a bit but I still struggle. I just put it off-WHY?
*having personal Family Home Evening/family counsel-We have done this about every other Sunday. I have to be careful that it doesn't turn into a battle of wills. I want an environment of learning and love.
*morning family scripture study and family prayer- this has been horrific! We haven't done it once in two weeks. I am the only one that wakes the family up to do this. If I get up they all get up, and most of the family isn't even really that grumpy. Why can I not get myself out of that bed to do this. I know that it is so important.
*lowering voice and not yelling-this has actually improved quite a bit. I am trying so hard to not have such a loud voice. I am also trying to not be so reactive. This is a constant process, especially with children(at least my children!)
*exercising-I am still plugging away at this. I really wanted to get to where I was going 4-5 days a week. I am still managing 3. I am frustrated with this because of my heel problem. I have plantar fasciitis in my heel and it is just slow to heel. I have gone to the Dr. and I am trying to be patient. Because of the injury I am not going to be able to continue my boot camp class next session. I have also not been able to put in the full effort that I have wanted to. It makes me crazy! I have still gone and I am always doing something, even when I can't do the running or jumping. I hope that this will get better.

Why do I struggle so much with these things? I realize that not everyone is very religious so a few of my goals don't seem to matter. However, to me they matter a lot. I just feel so strongly that we have to master these. NOW. My #1 child will leave our home in 3 1/2 years. That is a blink. I feel so strongly that we have to get these to be habits so that she will have had at least a few years of this habit. We have read scriptures during her life. However, it hasn't been a regular daily habit. I regret that.
How do I get myself to just get the family up and doing it? I sometimes wonder if there is another force that works on me to get me to NOT get up and get the family up. The evil one doesn't want these children to have gospel knowledge. So perhaps in my zombie state he just puts those extra tired thoughts in my mind.

I need a few suggestions on how to get myself to JUST DO IT! I was thinking about putting my alarm clock in my bathroom so that I have to actually get up out of the bed to turn it off. I had roommates in college who had to do this.

My Smart Habit Saturday Post became extra long-however, I hope that it will help me make a difference.

6 comments:

Lara said...

These things are constant battles! You just have to force yourself until it becomes a habit because it WILL get easier. We still struggle with scripture reading and we don't have to get up early to do it. Even though we should be doing it every day we get about 4 days in a week. I guess that's better than nothing.

Could you do yours at night or right when the kids get home? I know you're so busy with those older kids but maybe mornings just aren't going to work for you. How about trying for one or two days a week instead of every day?

A friend of mine gave me a book to read to learn to control anger. I can't wait to read it because I have much too big of a temper. I'll let you know if I learn anything!

Crissybug said...

I struggle with the same exact things. In the 8 years of me being married, Shawn and I have never really done well at having regular scripture study. I think that some it has to do with the fact that the advesary doesn't WANT us to do it. So he works really hard at making it not happen. Keep plugging along, and don't be too hard on yourself. The important thing is that you continue to get up, and keep trying!

Christine - Tutorial Addict :) said...

I think that realizing it's important but that you are putting it off too much is the first step. I agree with Lara, perhaps the timing is wrong? I struggled doing ANYTHING at night because I am a morning person. As soon as I started doing stuff in the morning, I was suprised at how much got done! Maybe if you work WITH your personality instead of against it, you might suprise yourself! Also, don't forget to be proud of what you ARE accomplishing, lowering your voice and even just exercising 3 days a week is great! I'm sure you will figure it all out!

Rachel said...

After reading the other commnets hopefully you won't feel so bad now that you know reading the sriptures (or lack of) is a universal struggle! But I also thought that the same thing. Does it have to be in the morning. What about right before/after dinner. If there is one time that you are all together. Rigth before bed. Read with who ever is at home. It's just difficult. Just don't give up. You're doing great!

Rebecca said...

It sounds like you are getting a good start on some goals. They all take time to get into habits so don't be too hard on yourself. I agree with what the others have said and try to work the habit into another time of day when it's not such a struggle for you. Have a great week!

Unknown said...

Great things to work on. Good luck this week.