Thursday, January 12, 2012

Christmas 2011 in Review!!


One of our favorite traditions is our Christmas books. I have collected them since I was first married. Usually adding one or two new ones every year. We have quite a collection now. They range from Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer to traditional stories about the Nativity. Once we wrapped the books opening one a day. It was fun, however, I found that by having the books wrapped we didn't seem to enjoy them as much. Part of the fun of the big box of books is to rediscover old favorites. Sometimes reading many more than just one a day. Now we bring out our basket-(had to have two this year)-and sit them by the tree to enjoy the entire month.


This picture is one of my favorites of the entire season.
My children often bicker. I try to work with them to treat each other better. They still bicker-a lot. I don't know if it is me and my parenting or the large age differences between them.
On this night as I came into the living room I saw Emily and Justin all scrunched up on the couch with Emily reading a Christmas story to Justin. I had to snap a photo. I also had to take a picture with my heart. With all the bickering that is common, it is hard to remember that on occasion they actually get along and do something so sweet and loving.
We generally go and cut down a real tree. This year we were in Idaho the weekend our normal place was open. It was then a very busy week. We had our annual neighborhood party planned for Friday. I knew that if we didn't get something up it wouldn't happen for the party. So, I pulled out my tiny fake tree I bought for $16.77 ten years ago. When Justin got home from school he started decorating it. He put almost every single ornament on that tree. Emily helped a bit at the end and of course I put on the lights, beads and ribbon(and moved a few clumps around!).
In the end we used about half our ornaments and it still was one of my favorite trees ever. It was so tiny and petite sitting in the corner the entire month. I quite loved it. I am hoping that I can actually have this type of tiny tree again.

No comments: