Consistency!
That is a word/action that I struggle with. For years I have realized that being consistent in anything is what brings true success. If we want to lose weight we have to consistently exercise and eat well, not just once a week. If we want to learn a skill we have to consistently practice it, whether it is the piano, painting, photography, golf, etc.
This summer I am really trying hard to encourage my children to consistently help keep our house nice. Every morning(almost) I have had them clean their rooms and do their other chores from our chore chart. My #3 child balks at this every single day. "Summer is supposed to be a vacation, why do we have to do all this cleaning?" I keep explaining (sometimes nicely, other times not so nicely) that if we consistently pick up our house, put our things away, wipe the counters, vacuum floors, etc. then our house is always pretty clean. It isn't a HUGE project.
I am hoping that by summer's end they will have a better understanding of WHY we do a little everyday. Perhaps then it will continue into the school year and they will be on their way to understanding that a little bit all the time is much easier than a lot everyonce in awhile. It also makes for a much happier momma!
4 comments:
Good luck with your goal--it sounds like a very smart one.
~ Sarah
I chose a word for the entire year. "Contentment". That is what I have been struggling with! Good luck with your word! :)
Good luck! It's a good idea to instill these ideas when they were young, it make take awhile to catch on, but they'll get it.
I am probably the most inconsistent person ever. Not good. I think I'll take your inspiration and work on being mre consistent around my home as well.
Post a Comment