Thursday, July 03, 2008

Bonnets

Look what I have been up to! I made a pioneer bonnet for our Trek next week!
I actually bought a straw hat to take but I just kept feeling like I should have a bonnet. They seem so much more "authentic."
While I was sewing the bonnet I kept thinking about when I was a girl.
My Grandma Dalley was a Daughter of the Utah Pioneer member. What that means is that her ancestors were original pioneers into Utah. There are chapters of DUP's all over. They have meetings where they learn about their ancestor's history and such. My Grandma was very proud of her pioneer heritage. I remember holding the old flag that their chapter had. I also remember one summer that we spent a few days in Driggs, Idaho. It was in July when they would celebrate the Pioneers coming into the Salt Lake Valley in 1847. We had a children's parade. We all got to dress up like pioneers and march around waving our flags.
That year I got to wear a pioneer dress and bonnet that were my Grandma's. I remember feeling so pretty! I loved the whole pioneer theme.

Fast forward about 30 years--Miss E wanted to wear "pioneer clothes" for the last day of school. They had been studying the pioneers and were encouraged to participate if they wanted.





I am so proud of my pioneer heritage. I am blessed to have come from pioneers on both sides of my family.

All of these thoughts just because I needed a bonnet for our Trek!

2 comments:

Lara said...

Don't you and E look so cute! I hope you save that bonnet pattern so I can borrow it some day. Like a day WAY in the future!

Our monitor is finally fixed so we need to bring yours back. I'd like to do it before you leave so it isn't sitting in the middle of my office all week. Can we do it Sunday? Thanks for letting us borrow it!

Rachel said...

Have fun on the trek! I couldn't go this year but I hope to go with Liv in 4 years next time they do this. I should probably get working on that dress and bonnet now!!!