Monday, November 17, 2008

Memories

On a regular basis I sit next to two of my children while they practice the piano. It isn't always my idea of fun--or theirs for that matter. However, I found with my oldest daughter that I had to sit with them. I didn't do it enough with her and I lost her to the joys of the piano.



Well, tonight after both #2 and #3 had done their practicing I decided to play a few songs. I played for more than an hour. Let me explain my piano background. I was like my #1 daughter. Very stubborn. I remember many many times my mother telling me that I would thank her someday. I remember thinking in my mind( as bratty teenagers will do) "even if I am glad I will never tell her." Well, I have repented of that. I told my Mom thank you many many times since my brain finally got over the teenager haze. I was not a gifted musician. It was not something that came easily to me. I have never been able to accompany someone while they sing or play really really difficult pieces. However, since that haze lifted I have been so grateful that I do have this ability.



While I was playing tonight I wanted to play something different than the same four songs that I usually play. So I looked at our pile of books. A lavender book caught my eye. It was the Young Women hymnbook from when I was a teenager. I pulled that book out and started leafing through it.



My best friend Laurel was/is a very gifted musician. She was able to play like an angel. We would sit at my Mom's piano and Laurel would play and we would both sing. Truth be told, Laurel was a much better singer also, however, we sang and sang. We sang these beautiful songs that taught us about our worth and about the Savior's love for us. As I picked through this hymn book I remembered these songs like we sang them yesterday. A few I was able to play, others I only could pick out the top hand. However, I was flooded with memories of sitting there together with my dearest friend.



Years after I graduated from high school I sat down to play my Mom's piano. She came into the dining room and sat at the table. She told me "one of the things I miss most is you girls playing the piano."


Thanks again Mom.

5 comments:

Amber M. said...

Rosie,

Thank you for your request about the star tutorial. I'll try to put one together in the next day or two!

Rachel said...

What kind of camera do you have? It takes the best pictures.

gkgirl said...

this was a very sweet post...
:O)

PhotoMom said...

I am so glad you are sharing and recording your beautiful memories!

PhotoMom said...

Cute background, and I think you are way more than slightly interesting! Hugs!