During this crazy week of mine I am trying to find things to eliminate to reduce stress. It is difficult to do, however, I am getting better at saying no. Do any of you have problems saying no? Do you want to please everyone? I was reading today and came across a quote that I have had on my fridge for months. It made me look at it again. It is rather profound. You may need to read it a few times over a few days to really understand it.
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light not our darkness that frightens us.
We ask ourselves “who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented and fabulous?”
Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small doesn’t serve the world. There’s nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won’t feel insecure around you. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us.
It’s not just in some of us; it’s in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same.
As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.
Marianne Williamson
I showed this to my friend Lara and she asked if I really believed this. She said that she feels that we are all insecure and don't feel good about ourselves. I agree with her. However, I think that life may actually cause us to have those insecurities. We all get so hung up on fitting in that we forget who we are. We allow other people to be our voices. I really wish that I had an answer that would help us be able to raise our children so that they wouldn't have to go through the rediscovery of self. I don't know how. I have a child in middle school. It is a difficult age. She wants to belong so much that she may be willing to perhaps do things that she doesn't really believe in. She is just so fragile that she doesn't know which way, so whomever is loudest she might follow. People will give you the line "teach them the correct ways and principles and they will make the right choices." I do not always believe that. I believe that this world is difficult and sometimes we make bad choices even when we have been taught better.
I hope that I can teach my children that they are Children of God. That they have a special purpose on this earth that only they can accomplish. I hope that they will grow and develop and know that they are loved, even if they choose poorly. I also hope that I teach them that I will love them even if I don't like their choices. I think that for young people that is a hard concept to grasp. How can someone love me if I have done something wrong? Because you are my child. Think about this from our Heavenly Father's perspective. He loves us despite our failings. We are His children. He is disappointed and saddened by our choices but He loves us still. He also provided a way for us to repent and change and come back into His light. His light radiates from anyone who has it. It shows in their countenance. It is that sparkle in someones eyes. It is what draws us to certain people.
I am going to really try and focus on not shrinking. We all have gifts to give. It may be making someone else laugh. It may be a simple note in the mail. We all have a special gift that we need to use. We are all CHILDREN OF GOD. He has a grand plan for us. I hope that I can have His light in my countenance.
2 comments:
Very profound. I know we do have great potential. I have been thinking all week about Bro. Koby's talk a couple weeks ago. We all have our own mission and our own callings in life. What may be a sin for me may not be a sin for someone else. I have been called to homeschool my children. It would be a sin if I ignored that calling. That doesn't mean everyone should homeschool their kids.
Ok, I'm sorry that was totally unrelated! Do you think it would be a sin to blog about the bishop?
It would only be bad if you said something totally disrespectful! He is a funny guy, sometimes being the Bishop brings out the serious side, and we fail to remember that they are human and like to kid around.
Guess what? I had someone from Limerick Ireland read! That is the last place hubby was on his mission! Cool Huh?
Post a Comment