The weather is turning COLD!!!! It was just bitter at 5:00 am when I went to the gym. By about 10:45 am I was able to go outside with the preschool children. The afternoon class was blessed that it was beautiful. By the time class ended at 3:00 pm it was freezing!
I am not really ready for winter. Now let me preface this---I love to ski, so I like parts of winter. However, there are parts that I struggle with. Dark, dark afternoons and evenings. It seems like there is just not enough sunlight. Because of this I struggle, I am much more tired. I struggle with irritability and frustration. I also hate the messy wet garage full of wet, stinky shoes and snow clothes.
Because I am trying to be more positive and enjoy my life today, I have decided to list all the things that I DO like about winter. Please feel free to remind me of these when I start complaining!
*Cold mornings when the snow just sparkles like diamonds.
* Wrapping up in blankets by the fireplace---particularly at my Momma's!
*Going outside and breathing in the bitter cold air.
*The smell of wood burning stoves.
*The quiet of the snow at night.
*How beautiful everything is after a snowstorm. All the trees branches are covered, it just looks like a fairy land.
*How clean things look with a new blanket of snow.
*The crunch of the snow when it is very cold--remember---I grew up in Idaho where it gets VERY COLD!
*Snow angels
*Listening to my children's squeals of delight as they sled down the hill.
*Snow Days--unfortunately for my children, these do not happen here. I grew up with them and I miss them, nothing like Mom coming in early and telling us we didn't have to go to school!
*A beautiful sunny ski day after a great storm
Something I miss---going to my grandparent's after skiing or snowmobiling and sitting by their woodstove to get warm. We would then go into the kitchen and have Grandma's chili with rolls that she would make in muffin tins. They always had these huge tops on them. My Grandma wasn't a very talkative person. She showed you she loved you by cooking. Her chili was always full of love. I have never liked canned chili--perhaps it is just not packed with enough love!



After we were stuffed we would lay on their shag carpet and watch Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom followed by the Lawrence Welk show.

Winter is on its way--what memories will my children have?
No comments:
Post a Comment