Tuesday, June 09, 2009

GiveAway!

I am trying to stave off a self imposed pity party. I am not sure of it's beginnings. Perhaps it is the rain that won't go away---don't I live in a desert--not the Pacific Northwest? Perhaps it is because I have a couple of children that I worry about constantly--they are too old to really play just because it is fun,but yet too young for me to not worry about incessantly.They are not old enough that I want them to hangout with the same kids for hours and hours--there always seems to be trouble. They are also not old enough that anyone will hire them--yet they NEED to be working. They are also just old enough that I am no longer very cool. In fact, I have been called handicapped and overprotective recently. I have also been accused of never caring about certain children.

So---instead of completely wallowing in my own little pity party I would like to do a give away. They happen on other peoples blog. People that actually are "famous" in one way or another. I am not one of those people. So---I don't have really cool programs or books to give away but---I will make a special little package--with something really cute in it. Just leave a comment as to how you deal with the trials of summer and I will randomly pick a winner! I will choose a winner on Thursday.

5 comments:

Gina said...

You should pack up the kids and ship them up here to Grandmas, give you a nice little break away from them.

Good luck with them, I'm sure they can be a handful.

Love ya,
Gina

PS: are you coming up to the shower?

Rachel said...

Ok I don't have any really great ideas I just want a special little package!

*Ship them off to Grandma's house or a cousin or somthing.
*Have them make a list of things they want to do or get done this summer. Set aside certain days to do that.
*Sign them up for some kind of camp. Art, science, swim, etc.

*learn a new skill.
We try this every year but I'm trying to stick to it. I have certain kids that are extremely lazy. They absolutely must do their chores ( it's always their room and one other rotating household chore) some kind of "homework", read their scriptures before they can do what they want. Seems like a lot but if they don't waste time it can be done in an hour.
*volunteer somewhere, hospital, library, food bank, etc
*find someone in your ward that can teach your kids a skill, cooking, sewing, building, landscaping,whatever

I guess that's it. Wow, I guess I do have ideas, I should try them~

Christa&James said...

I think that you need to come and visit! We should have a girls day out and go shopping, to dinner, and to a movie! Your kids will all thank you for being so protective later on in life!

Becky said...

I want to win a special little package! We set up a plan that certain jobs have to be done by 10 or they don't play. Other jobs need to be done or they pay. We're 4 for 4 and I hope it continues all summer! As for playing with the same kid all day I know, I don't like it either. I am at least trying to get them to play part of the time at the friend's house and part of the time at ours - at least I will know what they are doing some of the time. Good luck!

Tina said...

We have been having great success with our chore chart. The kids know that they must complete the chart before they have any free time. This way I am not fighting them to turn off the TV and get busy. They are not even allowed to go upstairs to the toy room until the chart is complete. It includes: make your bed, comb your hair, brush your teeth, feed your pet, homework (workbooks for the little ones, journal writing for the big ones), read for 20 minutes, clean your room, and my fav...hug your mom! There is also 1-2 daily jobs each day that I post early for them. This way, they are answering to the chart and its not me telling them what to do. I have a bag of art stuff (pom-poms, google eyes, pipe cleaners, fingerpaints) visible for free time. We also go to the library weekly to keep them stocked with reading materials. And my very best rule has been, if Mom is working, everyone is working! I also have a list of jobs they can do to earn money if they choose. You could have your big kids be kitchen helpers and they could plan menus and help cook. If they took turns every other day, you would have a helper daily! Lets hope the rain lets up soon so these kids can play outside, where they really, really need to be!