Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Wow--it is already June 24th! That date feels like summer must have been around for at least two months instead of the two days of loveliness we have had. Yesterday was a beautiful, sunny day. We had a swimming party last night with the entire student LDS stake(group of small congregations). It was fun to watch the little man start to be more comfortable in the water. Comfortable enough that I had to watch him like a hawk! He has just stayed out of it up until now.

My house is still a wreck-it must just be the way my life is going to be. I have tried to change this trend--for about 16 years. Sometimes it is at a dull roar that I can handle. Usually, it is just much more chaotic than I truly can deal with. The problem lies in between! How to keep it rolling along without falling apart. Consistency---that is the problem! I struggle keeping my children consistent (and myself). I struggle because I feel that my children have been taught but they seem to have not learned! Is this because I have not truly taught them or because they are still young? They are all bright children-I feel that they have been taught--do we have to go through the same teaching routine until they are 21? I have good friends who seem to be much more on top of things than I. Is this because they have taught their children better than I or because their children are smarter-more obedient than mine---OR because they PERSONALLY are more on top of things?
I am leaning towards the latter. I think that most children do not really learn to intrinsically care about things until they are much older. They see every single mess as something that is Mom's responsibility. I have not encouraged this. It just seems to be the way that they are wired.

So, my role as Mother is to teach and nurture my children. I continue to read and read and to teach and teach. The question remains ; how to keep the mother consistent without being a bit over the fence. I have friends that will never let their children have friends over because the kids will make messes. They have to wear socks at all times because toes leave toeprints on the floor. There is no pancake making by nine year olds, no art time for the four year olds. There are no tents built. I am NOT willing to live like that---however, their houses are much cleaner than mine! How do I find the balance? That must be the key. BALANCE.

How do you find BALANCE?

2 comments:

Lara said...

I think it's all in the training and consistency. It definitely doesn't work to tell them one time and expect them to do it from then on. Kids are smart but like you said, they just don't care.

My kids clean their rooms every day and clean up the house several times a day to keep it to a livable level of tidiness. Having a clean house is a big investment of time. One that I can't always make but I feel so much better when I do.

Anonymous said...

Mom this is your daughter. We have been taught we just choose not to. We realize we're pigs and we dont care. You dont need to analyze it because the truth is we just dont want to.