Wednesday, June 17, 2009

I have decided that the Lazy days of Summer is something that exists in childhood and is something that we continually long for in adulthood.

These images are where my summer dreams were developed. This is my childhood home. The porch swing has been there almost my entire life. The other beautiful additions have been added here and there by my talented Mom.

This porch is where I read Charlotte's Webb 10 times in the same summer. I learned about Kindred Spirits by reading Anne of Green Gables on this porch swing. I took naps on this swing in the warm summer air, always protected from the sun. I woke up to the sound of the swing, Mom would be reading the morning paper .

This porch is where we would watch the world drive by and we would sit and visit, read, eat and just be. Those precious moments of summer.

This is what I long for now as an adult. The truth for me is that I don't have a front porch with a beautiful expanse to create a little outdoor garden space. Another truth is that right now I am in the middle of raising my children-there is very little time for me to sit anywhere and read anything, much less take a nap on the swing in the breeze.

As an adult I realize that my Mom wasn't on the swing nearly as much as I was--she was the Mom after all. There was laundry, dishes and other needs to be attended to. However, my Mom took solace in her porch swing(still does). It is like therapy. She has mastered the art of catching moments, moments that help to buoy and strengthen the soul. She has figured out how to do many things outside on that porch swing. If there is nice weather and it is portable it can be done on the front porch.

I miss the sound of the front door opening below my bedroom and the familiar sound of the swing being put into motion. I miss coming down the stairs looking out and seeing her still in her p.j.'s reading the morning paper.

I miss being a kid. I miss this porch.















2 comments:

Tina said...

Great pictures! I remember when we went to visit your mom, we spent most of our time on that great porch. I have an amazing picture of Hannah sleeping in the swing. I wish I could grow flowers like that!!! We all have fond memories of "Gramma Dally's". The kids often ask when we can go camp in the backyard again...minus the stomach flu, please!

Unknown said...

i know exactly what you mean and feel, here, Rosie.

it is a lovely porch. i totally 'get it'.