Monday, October 30, 2006

It's Coming!

Have you been to any store in America in the last week? Christmas is upon us. I say that with glee and with trepidation! I love the feeling of Christmas, the music, the lights. I love the idea of Peace on Earth. I love families getting together. However, as the Mom I have that dread. I am a worry wart. I am not a huge spender, even though hubby would disagree! Therefore, I worry about every little thing. Will they love it, will they use it for more than two minutes? Is it teaching them anything? Am I teaching them the true meaning of Christmas, do they understand more than the season of getting?

So in that thought, I decided that I must just plan better and stress less. So, I did one step today! I figure that I have 8 weeks--if I just plan and actually DO IT! I can actually not freak out myself, my husband or our bank account!

We have started to not give gifts as adults. It is a wonderful thing! That may seem trite, but I believe that often all the gift giving is given because it is expected instead of really wanting to. All of my siblings, and now hubby's have decided to not exchange, only the children! It has removed one more stress. If I find something I just want to make or give them, I will, but we don't HAVE to. I think that it is better. So, if you are in my family, and not one of my children or my Mom you will not be getting a present from me! I love you but how many Popcorn tins can you really eat and do you really want another singing fish to hang on your wall?

Halloween is tomorrow! I need to buy candy! I have put it off so that I don't eat it!!!!

3 comments:

Lara said...

So what you're saying is I won't be getting a singing fish for Christmas? Dang!

I'm not thiking about Christmas until Halloween is over. Even though the kids are. They started working on their Christmas lists today.

Rosie said...

Funny how that happens! Mine did also! I have also started probing for what they really want. Crazy times we live in!

Lara said...

I guess in their minds Christmas is the next Holiday because Thanksgiving doesn't count. It's more of a grown up Holiday isn't it.

How was trick-or-treating? My kids got WAY too much candy! We're going to have a talk tomorrow to decide what to do with it. I can not have it in the house.