Thursday, October 26, 2006

Scouts

Oh, my what a day! Yesterday was exhausting! I had bear cubscouts and we were making planet mobiles. That doesn't sound too hard! I ran to Walmart and got the dowels, posterboard and craft sticks.

I ran home and get baby to sleep(he has a cold, so no gym for a few days) and try to straighten up my mess I live in. I have washed laundry for 2 days but not folded it--bad thing to do! So, I picked up the mound of laundry and took it to my bed, another bad idea when bedtime comes!
I got the rest of the mess cleaned up. Why does it take me hours to pick up stuff that isn't mine that is dumped in much less time?

I made a sample mobile. It wasn't too hard, I knew I would have to help with the strings for a couple of boys. Well, they arrived and got to work. ONE out of 6 was able to do it by himself! It took much longer because of this and I was suppose to pick up the Weblos at 5:15 to take them to their meeting! Well, at 5:30 we finally pulled out of my house! Luckily, I called everyone so they knew they were coming! Once I dropped off all the scouts and came home I was exhausted!
I am a teacher by trade, you would think that I would know what age kids can do things. Perhaps I am just used to my own 10 year old, he is very mechanical. Things like this are easy to him. I know I will think hard about any project in the future or at least have 3 parents there to help! The mobiles did turn out great! I hope that the boys hang them up. Miss E took mine to school for show and tell.

It has snowed! That is good and that is bad. Good because we are closer to going skiing, bad because it is COLD, wet and dark! It is beautiful this morning with all the trees frosted and the ground all covered in white.

I have a friend who was knitting yesterday, I am jealous! I am getting very anxious to work with some of my photos. I just have this need to use some creative energy. It all gets sucked out by laundry!!

3 comments:

Lara said...

My energy gets sucked up by being sick all the time!

I don't do a bit of cleaning in my house. Well, maybe a tiny bit. I do most of the laundry and I help with dishes but my kids do the rest. I guess that's one good thing about home schooling. Except that they have more time to make messes too! Just supervising their jobs is enough to wear me out. I need to go back to bed.

Nancy said...

I enjoyed this "craft" story because it brought back so many memories. I taught kindergarten before I retired and I never could accurately judge the time it would take to complete a project because as you said...all kids have different abilities so every year was different. It is exhausting! I admire you for being such a blessing to the boys and their projects.

wendy said...

When I was Enrichment leader, my friend told me to make the craft yourself, and double the time. Then you would have about how long it would take the ladies to make it. There is something about being in a group setting that makes projects take so much longer.