Sunday, December 21, 2008

December Daily--December 21, 2008


December Daily--December 21, 2008

Today was a lovely day of church services. I went to two sacrament meetings(LDS) where there was a Christmas program done by the choir. They were both just wonderful. The Spirit was so strong with that sacred Christmas music. Christmas music is one of my favorite things of the season.

I came home and started watching yet another Hallmark Christmas movie. I am such a softie. I was bawling my eyes out and it wasn't even sad.

Later I wondered why I was bawling. A touch of PMS is in order but more than that I am homesick. Homesick? I have been married for 18+ years, how do I get homesick? I have lived in this home for 7+ years. I have been a mother for 15+ years. Yet---I am homesick.

I remember getting out of school for Christmas break. There would be tons of snow, we would watch way to much t.v., friends would come by with tons of treats, family would come by with even more treats. We would go to my grandparents house about an hour away. Almost always coming or going in a storm. We would put some bows on Grandma's tree, eat some chili, watch Lawrence Welk and just feel excitement. On our way home my oldest brother Royce would point out little points of light to me. He was certain that that was Santa's sleigh. "Did you see that red light?" "That was Rudolph." We get home and then get to choose one present to open. It wasn't necessarily p.j.'s--it could be about anything. Then we would sit by the fire and try to not go to sleep. I was always the earliest one up. My sister got to where she threatened me if I got up before 8:00a.m.

We would finally rush down to the tree. We would look in our stockings first, they would be hanging on the stair banister. There would always be socks, undies, a toothbrush, and a trinket or two-maybe earrings, makeup or a little toy. Also, for years there would be a piece of gold wrapped Almond Rocca.

After we went through our stockings we would attack the presents. There were four children in our family so there were always lots of presents. I remember getting dolls, buggies, barbies, roller skates, a walkman tape player and many other things. I always remember feeling such joy and elation.

I am now the Mom of four children and well, I feel homesick.

No comments: