December Daily-December 2, 2008
Today was the day of the tree! Decorating that is! As soon as the preschool kiddies left I started hefting the boxes. MissE and the Little Man were so excited. Me-not so much. I got to do light duty. Now I have been working on trees for many years(remember what birthday I just celebrated?) I know that you always check the lights BEFORE you put them on the tree. I did that, with every single strand. Then I proceeded to wrap the tree. What I didn't realize was that when I would get to the end I would have nothing to plug in, one of the plugs had both on one end so it messed my system up. So, off the tree the lights came. I re wrapped the lights and then went to plug them in. NOTHING! Not one of them worked. I took the strands off one by one, plugged them into two different outlets-nothing. They all died in the process of me putting them on the tree. By this point, I am a bit cranky. I find two more strands, check them, have Mr. Man check them. They work. We wrap them on the tree, then when I go to hook the two together, they won't hook! One is an inside light and the other is outside. At this point I am about beside myself. I decide that we will just have to plug BOTH of them into the outlet.
I remember on occasion my Dad helping with the tree. It was a painful experience. We always got the biggest trees-10 feet tall ones. They had to be put in a huge tin tub and then tied to the staircase. After that he was pretty much done. I do remember a few rare times that he put on the lights. He always had my kind of luck. Now I know why people buy pre-lit fake trees!
Once the lights were on, then came the beads. The beads are my Mother's fault. Our trees have always had beads, never, ever garland. So, on with the beads. This year I decided to put ribbon on. All of this has to be done before any ornaments can be hung. MissE and Little Man were ever so patient. Three hours later I left the decorating for awhile to MissE.
This was her year! She was totally enamoured by every single ornament. She took great pride in how they were hung. She asked about the ornaments, where they came from, who's they were.
She worked on and off for the next two hours while I watched The Biggest Loser(I know, I am weird). When I told her it was time for bed she was so sad. "Can't I please just finish the ornaments?"
2 comments:
Your tree looks very cute! Sorry for the bad luck with the lights!
I guess I should have checked your blog before I redid mine. OH well, I'm not changing it tonight!
Post a Comment